Accident Reports PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Tuesday, 25 November 2008 11:13

New York State law dictates certain situations where the local Police agency must investigate an accident.  The results of this investigation are found on what’s commonly referred to as an “Accident Report”, or MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident).


If you are in an accident, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers.  If the accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver’s license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers.  If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.  There is typically no need for an officer to investigate a Property Damage Only (PDO) accident; therefore we do not typically provide accident reports for relatively minor accidents.


There are certain state laws which require citizens to report property damage accidents.  These are reported to either DMV or the Police depending on the details.


·        If the property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, all the involved drivers are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to file an MV-104.  The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.

·        If a person is injured or killed, you are requir3ed by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police.  All the involved drivers and the police must file an accident report with the DMV.  It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.  Further charges can be placed upon the “leaving” driver.


Check the DMV’s website for specific information at for specific information.  You can also complete and print an accident report on their site. 


As always, if you have any questions or are in doubt as to how to handle the situation, please call us at (716) 692-4111.

Last Updated on Sunday, 26 July 2009 08:06